1 large onion
2 medium zucchini
2 cups sliced mushrooms (we don't do mushrooms, so I left them out)
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
6 Tbsp soy sauce
4 Tbsp butter
salt & pepper
2 tsp lemon juice
3 tsp sesame seeds
6 cups bean sprouts
- Before you begin cooking be sure that the chicken, onion, zucchini, and mushrooms have been sliced into bite-sized pieces. For the onion, slice it as if you were making onion rings, then quarter those slices. For the zucchini, first slice them into long, thin strips, then cut across those strips four or five times to make bite-sized pieces that are 1 to 1 1/2 inches long.
- Spread 1 Tbsp of oil into a large frying pan over medium/high heat. Spread another Tbsp of oil in another pan over medium/high heat.
- Begin by sauteing the sliced chicken in one of the pans. Add 1 Tbsp of soy sauce, 1 Tbsp of butter, and a dash of salt & pepper to the chicken.
- Add the onion and zucchini to the other pan. Add 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp of butter, and a dash of salt & pepper. Saute the vegetables as long as the chicken is cooking, being sure to stir both pans often.
- When the chicken has sauteed for about 2 minutes or when it appears white on all sides, slide the meat to one side of the pan, pur lemon juice on it, then add the mushrooms to the other side of the pan. Pour 1 Tbsp of the soy sauce over the mushrooms, then add 1 Tbsp of butter plus a dash of salt & pepper. Continue to stir both pans.
- After 6 to 8 minutes, or when the chicken is done, sprinkle 1 tsp of sesame seeds over the chicken, then mix the chicken with the mushrooms. Spoon the chicken mixture in four even portions on four plates next to four even portions of the vegetables from the other pan.
- Pour the bean sprouts into the same pan in which you cooked the vegetables, and cook over high heat. Add 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp butter, and a dash of salt & pepper.
- Cook the sprouts for only a minute or two, or until they have tenderized. Just before you serve the sprouts, sprinkle 2 tsp of sesame seeds on them. Serve the sprouts next to the chicken and vegetables with mustard sauce and ginger sauce on the side.
My review: *****
This was delicious! And even better, it was really very simple to make. I followed the directions exactly (except the 'shrooms and sesame seeds, just because we didn't have any). Even the kids liked this one. We paired it with the Mustard Sauce, which is really what made the chicken so tasty. The veggies and sprouts could easily stand on their own. I think next time I'll make some white rice to add a bit more substance to the meal. Overall, this was fabulous and we'll definitely have it again!