Monday, February 2, 2009

turkey chili

I made my first homemade batch of chili last night for the Superbowl. I have to admit, it was quite daunting! I spent a good week doing research on what exactly goes in a chili, how much, how long to cook, etc. I ended up combining several recipes and this is what I came up with... Enjoy!

1.25 lbs ground turkey (b/c it comes pre-packaged that way)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cans tomato sauce
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
several shakes of hot sauce
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
2 tsp minced garlic (3-4 cloves)

*Brown ground turkey in a couple Tbsp of olive oil. Drain. Add to slow cooker.

*Add all other ingredients to slow cooker, stir to combine. Cook on low for 8 hours.

*We served our's spooned over baked potatoes to make it a more filling meal, with grated cheese and sour cream.

I also froze the leftovers for Scott to take to work. I will definitely be doing this again... it wasn't nearly as difficult as I was afraid of!

No comments:

Post a Comment